Tomatoes are an easy ingredient to work with. We have been making this for many years and it turns out absolutely amazing every single time. This is a fool proof recipe and there is nothing to go wrong. It’s very easy to follow for beginners and bachelors. This is a one pot method and doesn’t take much time to make. It’s a go to recipe in our house when we are on a time crunch. This doesn’t involve any fancy ingredients. It’s made with those that are always available in any Indian household. Do give it a try and we are sure you will love it. Let’s get to making this aromatic tomato rice!
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, slit
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Handful of mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3-4 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cups water
- Salt as required
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
1. Add 3-4 Tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker on medium flame. Add in the chopped onion and cook until they become soft.
2. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappears. Add in the green chillies.
3. Add the chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and cook until it shrinks.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add a little salt as it helps to cook the tomatoes faster. Cover and cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
5. Meanwhile, wash the basmati rice twice or thrice till the starch is removed i.e. the water used for washing the rice should be clear and not white. This helps the rice from sticking to each other when cooked. Soak the rice in water for 10 minutes.
6. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder and cook for a few minutes.
7. Add two cups of water and let it boil. Check for salt and spice. The water should be slightly saltier and spicier as the rice absorbs some of it.
8. Add the soaked rice and close the pressure cooker. Cook for 10 minutes on medium low flame or until one whistle. Open the cooker once the pressure is settled. Cool it down for a few minutes before mixing it as it will prevent the rice from breaking.
9. Serve the delicious and mouth watering tomato rice with raita or chips.